Think of bright early mornings, a bustle of activity, a long lazy lunch and a siesta before getting ready for a starry evening. That’s life in the Mediterranean. Why not recreate what doctors’ claim is one of the healthiest lifestyles on the planet?
The Mediterranean diet focuses largely around olives and their byproducts. Mister Alfresco is here to help you recreate the perfect Southern European picnic plan for a spring or summer day outside.
- Hard boiled eggs – one or two per person
- 8 oz. extra virgin olive oil, packed and sealed
- A pound of fresh, organic tomatoes – pack them whole and slice at the picnic
- Your favorite black, green or cocktail olives
- A packet of French butter
- Fresh baguettes – ½ baguette per person
- Fresh croissants
- A generous block of high quality feta cheese – feta from cow’s milk is milder than that from sheep’s milk, but if you like a sharp taste, try the sheep’s feta from your local ethnic grocery store.
- Fresh scallions
- Cantaloupe – chop into inch cubes and pack in a seal-able container for easy service.
- Sliced ham, pastrami or turkey
- Pine honey
- Fig, rose or quince jam
- A quart of Greek yogurt
- A thermos of strong, hot tea
The combinations are infinite:
- Pair the tomato and feta with the scallions on the baguette and drizzle with olive oil.
- Fill the croissants with a spread of butter and jam
- Mix the pine honey with the yogurt and serve with bananas
- Couple the melon with meat cuts
- Nibble the olives and eggs for a savory touch to the sweet spreads
Don’t forget your post-feast nap!