Even if you live in the suburbs, you can forage or grow your own salad without trekking to Whole Foods for the latest kale trend. What we consider common weeds are not only edible, they are packed with nutrition. Just ensure that you’re not picking from an area which may have been treated by chemicals.
- Samphire – this vegetable thrives in marshy conditions and is extremely nutritious.
- Dandelion – either raw, cooked, or wilted, prepare and eat these just as you would spinach.
- Nettles – use garden mitts and pick them after a light rain when they are still young and tender. As soon as they are cooked for a few seconds, the stinging feature disappears.
- Mallow – Again pick them while young and tender. Eat raw or cooked.
- Capers – both the leaves and the fruit are edible.
- Purslane – Mr. Alfresco reckons this weed will become the next kale rage. Tender, tasty, and sweet, these are great raw.
- Chickweed – Raw or cooked, this weed has been eaten since antiquity.